Another labour story.

Picture the scene. It was Saturday night and I was 2 days overdue and MISERABLE. For the last few weeks I could barely walk with SPD, feeling almost constantly sick and everything gave me heartburn. Mr Knight took the toddler up to bed whilst I grumpily bounced around on my gym ball. And what do you know, hello contractions! They started at about 9:30pm and gathered momentum pretty quickly.

At about 11pm we called my mom who was on stand by for Little Knight and I started using a TENS machine (which I recommend if you’re thinking about it). I managed to stay at home until about 1am when we went to hospital as my contractions were about 2 minutes apart and lasting about 1 minute each.

I was quite apprehensive about going to hospital as last time I was in labour (which you can read about here) I was only 2-3cm dilated when we got there so I really didn’t want that to be the case this time. You can imagine how relieved I was when the midwife said I was 8-9cm!

I went off to a delivery room with a very lovely midwife and got straight on the gas and air! I continued to labour for the next couple of hours and things got very intense! She broke my waters at about 3:30am and I was almost immediately ready to push!

Now that is something I’ll never forget. I completely lost my mind. I may have bitten my husband. It was horrific. But after less than half an hour my baby BURST into the room (facing upwards and causing some SERIOUS damage on the way out!) and placed straight on my chest.

I just lay there in complete shock. I was in the worst pain of my life and then suddenly this slimy baby was lying on me.

MY BOY! Weighing 8lb 14oz.

Mr Knight was able to cut the umbilical cord and I had him for a few minutes before I had to go to theatre due to 3rd degree tearing. Told you he burst out!

An hour later we were reunited in the recovery room where he had his first feed and we were able to start spreading the good news. We soon got settled into a hospital ward, I was in a lot of pain and was feeling very poorly as I’d lost over a litre of blood so we weren’t going anywhere!

We stayed in hospital for another day. I had to have a catheter in for 24 hours as I’d had a spinal block in theatre and I didn’t have the strength to walk due to the blood loss. I was also full of grazes and black with bruising so I needed to be where all the painkillers were!

The next day we were allowed home, armed with a bag full of drugs, at about 3pm. I was so excited to see Little Knight as it’s the longest we’ve ever been apart, and never overnight. She was so excited to meet her baby brother! Her face lit up when she saw us and she was full of cuddles and kisses for him. We’re so proud of her.

It’s now a week later and we are just enjoying day to day life as a family of four. I’m starting to feel like myself again already and recovery is going well, stitches are looking good and my bruising is going down now. I feel like an actual hero that I managed to labour and give birth with minimal pain relief and without any intervention. I was so keen to have a VBAC (Vaginal Birth After Caesarean) but I don’t think I really believed that I was actually strong enough to do it. Now I feel like I could do anything!

He is perfect. He’s feeding beautifully and managed to put on an ounce in his first week. I could just stare at his gorgeous face all day.

We purposely haven’t had any visitors apart from immediate family for the first week as I felt so overwhelmed last time and I enjoy being in our little newborn bubble.

As you can imagine things are a little busier these days so my posts might be few and far between for a while. Thanks so much for reading.

Knight Mummy x

One thought on “ Another labour story.

  1. Pingback: And then there were two. | Knight Mummy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s